The London Discovery Thinking Forum will be the 19th presentation of the AAPG 100th Anniversary Committee’s program recognizing “100 Who Made a Difference.” These Forums, co-sponsored by AAPG’s Division of Professional Affairs (DPA), will feature invited speakers who will describe major and significant discoveries.
A special tribute “Lessons in Exploration Creativity From a Decade of Discovery Thinking Forums” will start the program. We will feature a few brief look-back vignettes of representative landmark discoveries featured in Discovery Thinking Forums over the past decade. As a tribute to the accomplishments of more than 100 extraordinary men and women who have participated in these forums, we will celebrate their successes and recall key lessons relevant to explorers today and in the future.
Each speaker and their colleagues overcame significant business, technical, and professional challenges. Topics to be discussed will include philosophy of exploration, stories from remarkable careers, professional insights, colorful anecdotes, and lessons learned on the path to success. As technology advances and younger geoscientists enter our profession, the organizers see continued interest in forums such as these. These forums provide a venue for explorers to discuss the personal side of success and what has been called the “art of exploration.” As always, the audience is fortunate to hear the speakers share abundant technical data and insights derived from costly and hard won experience.
AAPG offers many technical sessions. Discovery Thinking forums fill an important gap in how technical and professional skills combine to turn prospects into discoveries.
This year, AAPG is pleased to present Significant New Discoveries, New Frontiers. London is a headquarters of many global exploration companies and a great venue to celebrate significant game-changing discoveries in Africa and the Arctic..
- Lessons in Exploration Creativity From a Decade of Discovery Thinking Forums: Charles Sternbach, President, Star Creek Energy
- Goliat Discovery – A Knowledge-Based Approach and Persistence, and the First Commercial Oil Development in the Norwegian Arctic: Filippos Tsikalas, Adjunct Professor Delineation Projects & Stranded Discoveries Valorisation Manager, Eni Norge
- Zohr Giant Gas Discovery – A Paradigm Shift in Nile Delta and East Mediterranean Exploration: Andrea Cozzi, Vice President, Geology & Geophysics Studies, Eni Upstream & Technical Services
- The Senegal Discoveries and How Two New Plays Were Opened in North West Africa: John Clayburn, Head of Exploration Cairn Energy PLC
- East African Rift Basins: A New Oil Province Heads Towards Production: Kevin Christopherson, East Africa Exploration Manager, Tullow Oil